1.09.2007

Soup's On!

It's finally cold enough here to have soup so I thought I'd share another favorite recipe. I love this one because I can get everything chopped up and ready to go ahead of time and then throw it all together at the last minute. Also, it makes a big pot so there are always yummy leftovers! I know there are probably a million broccoli-cheese soup recipes out there. But I think this one is especially easy and very good. (Probably not "good for you" but we won't go there!) Enjoy!

Broccoli-Cheese Soup

1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup potatoes, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped (I don't put this in ours.)
2 cups broccoli (I buy the petite florets and toss them in frozen!)
1 stick butter
1 48-ounce can chicken broth
2/3 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 16-ounce jar Cheez Whiz

In large pot, melt butter then add all veggies. Sauté until tender. Add broth to veggies. In separate bowl, add milk to flour slowly. Then add milk mixture to broth and veggies. Bring all to a boil and let thicken for 5-10 minutes. Add Cheez Whiz. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 more minutes. We always add real bacon bits on top!

2 comments:

Beckyb said...

Sounds fabulous - now I have a soup to make for supper!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! We will definately try this one. Keep them coming!