5.22.2007

They really ARE different......

We have the privilege of raising sons daughters and sons, and every day, it seems we find out how truly different they are.

Today's Case in Point: as soon as the girls hit the seat in carpool, they launch into a play-by-play of each conversation, lunchtime happening, and every other vitally important, life-changing event that might have occurred during the day. And the girls are at the ages (14 and 11) where I frequently hear things like "Friend A doesn't like Boy B any more. Now, she likes Boy C." or "Friend D and Friend E aren't friends anymore because Friend D gave Friend F a Best Friends Forever necklace." or "Today, Friend G and Friend H were fighting over who had the prettier hair." You know--important things like that.

Evidently, however, there were some feathers a' flyin' in fourth grade today. When I asked Payton how his day was, he said "Fine, except that 'Paige' and 'Natalie' were fighting today." (Names have been changed to protect the guilty) And, former 7th-grade girl that I am, I immediately said "Oh really, why?" With a dramatic roll of the eyes and a very exasperated tone, Payton said "How should I know mom? It's none of my business."

And, for him, it truly is as simple as that. He won't give it another minute's thought. Oh that girls were that easy!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Sounds like my world -- the 11 yo girl thinks I *need* to know everything about the social network at school. The 10 yo boy thinks I should know what pertains directly to him, but nothing else. :-)