1.11.2010

Life and Dignity.....


Yesterday our pastor began a sermon series entitled "Life and Dignity".  His words made me realize once again how truly blessed I am.  His key passage was from Isaiah 58. It made me think.


Feed the hungry, and help those in trouble. 
Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you 
will be as bright as noon.  

Today I was perusing some of my favorite blogs.  And there it was again.  Isaiah 58:10.  I think maybe God is trying to tell me something.

I LOVED Jen's care package idea.  Most of this stuff we already have lying around anyway.  We can make up a few of these packages and keep them in the car.   Then when we see someone in need, maybe someone who is homeless on these frigid days and nights, we will have something to give them.  Something small that will meet their immediate needs.

Jen used the following in her care packages, and I've added a few suggestions of my own.
  1. Hand warmers
  2. Snacks
  3. Wet Wipes
  4. Toothbrush/toothpaste
  5. Water bottle
  6. Mints/gum
  7. Kleenex
  8. Chapstick
  9. Note/bible verse
  10. Socks
  11. Gloves
  12. Comb/hairbrush
  13. Fast food gift card
  14. OTC medicines/cough drops
As children, many of us sang the song "This little light of mine".  Well..........here is an opportunity for you to let it shine!  And, if you decide to "shine", please leave a comment and let me know.

2 comments:

Kari said...

I am so thankful you posted this blog today! Just this morning on my way to work I was thinking about the sermon on Sunday. I was thinking of ways that I along with my family, could help the homeless, the poor, the less fortunate. I kept thinking, I could send a check but that wasn't the point of the sermon. Then I thought, we could as a family volunteer at a Mission kitchen but when would I do this? I want something I can do NOW. :) I just prayed that God would give me an idea, inspiration or even a huge sign! lol I heard the song by Toby Mac..City On Our Knees and talked to the boys about helping the poor. I asked them what they thought we could do and of course they didnt have an answer that was suitable. I asked them to pray about it as I would be doing the same thing. I was completely moved by the sermon and I had goose bumps reading your blog. What a PERFECT idea for the 'NOW' I was referring to! How fun that God chose to use my dear sweet friend to give me such a great idea!! Thanks for blogging! You are such a talented writer! Love ya!!!

Unknown said...

very good !
Walatra G Sea