10.18.2010

On my bookshelf.........

I'm not sure why or how, but I've managed to squeeze in quite a bit of reading lately.  I used to read ALL the time--and I do mean ALL the time--even when the kids were younger.  But now, not so much.  Don't get me wrong--I always HAVE a book (or books) I want or plan to read, but the actual reading of these books seems to happen less and less these days.  Of course, if I would stop "reading" blogs and Facebook, I may be able to open an actual book more often.  Sigh............

Either way, I've read a few good books lately, and since I often have friends ask me what books I've recently enjoyed, I thought I would share a few here.  Happy reading!
  • I stumbled on his blog, which led me to his book.  VERY good!  Just the inspiration I need to declutter even more!
  • Honestly, this one was more of a skim than a read because, although I absolutely believe that we must be good stewards of our planet, I definitely don't buy into the environmentalist whacko stuff.  (And, yes, I think it's whacko.)  But this book was still a good skim:  thought provoking and inspiring.
  • Grab the kleenex and read this.  So honest -- even wives of christian contemporary singers question God--but yet so encouraging to see God's healing power working in their lives.
  • You all know I am one of Chris Bohjalian's biggest fans.  And this book didn't disappoint. 
  • I love Anne Tyler too.  All her books are set in Baltimore, and it's so fun to read about familiar street names and neighborhoods.  This book of hers in one of my all-time favorite reads; this one I just finished was different but still very good.
  • This one probably doesn't need much explanation.  Suffice it to say, if you have a daughter who hopes that you will also have a son-in-law someday, you need to read this book.  'Nuff said.
  • And, finally, I picked this book up for Sawyer's birthday, and the boys have enjoyed it immensely.  If you have tween boys, I bet they would like it too!
And one more question for you:  Each year, I try to read at least three classic novels.  I read all the major ones in college (that happens when you're an English major), but I read them mostly to write the paper/take the test and not for pleasure so I'm trying to revisit them.  But I haven't read any yet this year and, honestly, I'm stumped.  What are your favorite classics?  I need some inspiration. (Anything but Dickens.  I don't do Dickens.  Sorry Chuck.)

4 comments:

Penny said...

Little Women, Jane Eyre, Gone With the Wind, Of Mice and Men, A Christmas Carol (sorry, couldn't help it, but I read it almost annually).

Carla said...

I've always loved Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

If you're in the mood for something dark, there's always Anna Karenina.

Valerie Smallman said...

You are being awfully quiet lately. Hope all is well.

Unknown said...

very good
Walatra Gamat Emas Kapsul