8.28.2006

Time flies


I get this way every September. School is starting and I'm crying--sad that the summer is over and I didn't play more games, toss more baseballs, or read more books with the kids. Sad that we can't sleep in anymore and that I have to start making lunches again (I hate to make lunches!). And then, of course, there's sadness because I feel guilty that I'm glad school is starting again. I can't win with myself!

But this year is particularly sad. Our "baby" is 14 and going off to high school tomorrow. How did that happen? I remember every minute of the day she was born like it was yesterday. I remember the frustrating days when I thought she would never go to school, and if she actually did get old enough to go, she would be expelled on the first day because of her incessant chatter! I remember bawling as I prayed with our Moms In Touch group, sure that I wouldn't survive sending her to school all day. I remember crying at her kindergarten graduation, knowing that it was all downhill from there. And how I agonized over our move from Michigan, sure that leaving her school and friends there would scar her for life. (Now she says she would never want to go back to Michigan!)

What is it they say? When you have children, the days are long and the years are short. How true. Brooke is a beautiful and talented young lady. We are so proud of her. We are so blessed and excited to see her going off to a wonderful christian high school that she loves where she has great friends and great teachers.

But I'm still wondering where the time went???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheesh! Brooke in high school? I actually had no idea. I was thinking 8th grade at the most. We all are wondering where the years went.

Seems when I would go to school on the first day I was the only one crying in our house. Well, except for that one year.

Beckyb said...

That first picture is how I remember Brooke - wow - where does the time go?!?! She is beautiful and a blessing, I am sure! Enjoy her - if there is one thing I am learning it is that I can't recapture any of it - I need to enjoy each moment in the "now"!!!

Anonymous said...

I really identified with "the days are long and the years are short." Amazing how the Lord's blessings bloom.

melanie said...

Live every minute, love every day! Jen, she is so beautiful and you and Jeff should be very proud of her and of yourselves!