9.10.2007

Word of the Day.......

Omnibus

This word has always intrigued me. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I remember a book on my parents' bookshelf that had this word in the title, and for some reason, I always thought that someone had given it to my dad because he worked in our church's Sunday bus ministry???

Well, today, I decided to end my ignorance about this word, and when I read the definition, I realized why it was so interesting to me.

Courtesy of www.dictionary.com:

Omnibus---pertaining to, including, or dealing with numerous objects or items at once

Hello, my name is Jennifer. I am an "omnibus". Or maybe I am "omnibussy". Either way, my picture (and that of most moms!) could be beside this word in the dictionary. Even Wikipedia (reliable source that we all know it is) confirmed my suspicions with this definition: omnibus is a Latin word meaning "for all, for everyone". Don't all moms do all things for all people?

And, surely it's not mere coincidence that the London General Omnibus Company was the principal bus operator in London from 1855 to 1933 and that the Williams Omnibus Bus Line was the first mass transportation system in Toronto, Canada. Most days, I feel like a "bus" (no comments please), quite literally, as I shuttle children to football, soccer games, school, dental appointments, praise team practice, youth group functions, etc., etc., etc. then try to fit in stops at the grocery store, bank, pharmacy, etc.

Then there's the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 and the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1990. I prevent the committing of crimes between four children every day, and it practically takes an "act of Congress" to balance our family budget.

And who knew there was actually an "Animal Omnibus" in Alabama?? I wonder if they know that they have a "branch office" in Maryland where I attempt "animal control" every single day?

I had no idea that my omnibus inquiry would provide such valuable information! I wonder if the person who coined the term knew how "true to life" it would be?

No comments: