3.16.2008

Day 1

Okay, here we go folks! And I don't want any smart comments about the titles. I'm blogging for one hundred days straight people. Don't expect creative titles too. ahem.........

On to today--have you ever gone to church and felt like somehow the pastor got into your brain and planned his sermon just for you? Like he figured out exactly where you were struggling/sinning and worked all week just to convict you? Well, that was me today. Hit me right between the eyes. We could have been the only two people in the entire building. And what, you ask, was this sermon about? Why, TRUST, of course.

Our house has now been on the market since January 31. We've had 13 showings, lots of great comments, one quasi, almost laughable offer, and lots of frustration. Oh, and we've had a VERY clean house since January 31 too. In all of this, I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out how **I** can sell this house? What can **I** do to make people want to buy it? What can **I** do so God will smile on us and bring us a great offer?

This morning I was reminded that there's only one thing I can do. Unfortunately, that one thing is the very hardest thing of all for a type-A, wants to be in control person like me. That one thing is TRUST. I can't arrange showings. I can't make people not care about the cemetery out back. I can't make my house something it's not. The only thing I can do is TRUST that God is big enough to sell the house when he wants and to whom he wants.

Trust is a choice I haven't made lately. I'd much prefer to lay awake at night worrying about what we should be doing differently or yell at the kids because I'm frustrated over the lack of showings or drown my sorrows in a bag of Hershey's nuggets. Yes, all of those may be easier than TRUST but they are far less rewarding in the end. We were admonished to choose to trust; to rest and wait to be caught off-guard by a God loves us more than we could ever imagine and will give us only what is best.

I'm choosing trust. At least for today. And with God's help, I will choose it in the days ahead.

My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord.
“And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
For just as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so my ways are higher than your ways
and my thoughts higher than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:8-9

8 comments:

Michelle with a K said...

Oh my goodness, this is SO something I need to work on as well! I just resigned from my teaching job effective in May, and will be unemployed for the first time in 10 years...and I'm terrified! I too need to TRUST that God is bringing me to where I need to be, that He finally gave me the courage to write that letter and hand it in, that He does have something better planned for me. It's so hard not to want to be in control of everything all the time. I'm right there with you!

Stephanie said...

so when I talk to you and you're freaking out, I'll have one word for you...TRUST
feel free to throw it my way too!

C.C. said...

Praying for God's will! Day 1 down, 99 to go!

ross, julie, xixi, and zach said...

wow! you go girl- 1 down- 99 to go!

hope you get caught off-guard this week!

Sandy Koch said...

Isn't it amazing when God uses others to speak directly to you? I, too have been there!

The Thomsons said...

This happens to us too. It's amazing how the Lord speaks through pastors and His word, isn't it?
Rachel

Anonymous said...

I get an email "devotional" from Chuck Swindoll (and, yes, he probably types it DIRECTLY to me - hahaha) This is a portion of Saturday's (regarding trust vs. unbelief of how God will meet our needs):
"This is how we need to pray, even when we feel as if we never want to pray again: 'Lord, I don't feel like praying right now, but hear my prayer anyway. Lord, I will believe You, even though the tide is rising, and I'm already on tip-toe. I will believe You, even though it seems like it's taking You forever to keep Your promise. I will believe You, even though I've come to the ragged end of my strength, the dregs of my hope, the broken shards of my plans. I will not look for a shortcut. I will not rely on a carnal option. I will not retreat from the battle. I will believe You!' "
So, even Chuck can read your mind!
tamera

Kari said...

We went throught the same thing, well except the whole cemetery thing..haha..so my advice is this: just have Jeff leave the country and make sure he is NOT reachable. :)
you are taking this like a champ! and you are a very encouraging to others. :) thanks so much for all your encouragement, and I hope that I can be at least somewhat encouraging to you during this frustrating time. Your verse pretty much says it all! control is sooooo overrated! ha!